Sunday, January 12, 2014

KAPU Foods & Drinks


KAPU in Hawaiian means that something is prohibited or taboo. You will often see signs in Hawaii that say KAPU in front of properties, which means your not allowed access into the area. At least that is where the word is most commonly seen in public.

KAPU sign at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center in Waikiki.
Below is a list of KAPU Foods & Drinks you should stay away from. These food items have lots of sugar and will add fat to your body and wrinkles to your face. Always remember you are what you eat and drink and what you do today will be your results in the future. So if you want to stay healthy and glowing, be choosy about what you put into your body today and everyday as much as possible.

KAPU Foods & Drinks:

  • "fat-free" foods like cakes, cookies, cereal bars, & salad dressing (they take away the fat and replace it with tons of sugar instead).
  • "sugar-free" juices, sodas, & treats
  • bagels
  • cakes and pies
  • candies
  • cereals
  • rice
  • pasta
  • bread
  • french fries
  • hamburger and hot dog rolls
  • processed meats (spam. baloney, luncheon meat, hot dogs)
  • soda
  • juice "drinks" (Meadow Gold guava juices, etc., and POG juices)
  • fried foods (won tons, chicharron, korean chicken, etc,)
Bread

Spam


Meadow Gold "Juice" and POG

Chicharron

If your born and raised in Hawaii, then you probably grew up  eating white rice with all your meals like I did. A local persons house will ALWAYS have a full pot of white rice in the rice cooker at ALL times. It is also mind-boggling to local families that one could eat a meal WITHOUT white rice on your plate. In fact, it may be pretty strange to malihinis, but we even eat rice with meat spaghetti (noodles and all).

White Rice, my form of Crack

I LOVE RICE. But I gave it up 3 years ago because I could eat heap fulls of it, especially with some kind of gravy or even mayo (I know, GROSS! a local "potogee" staple/condiment). You see, I suffered from "Skinny-Girl Syndrome", which meant that no matter how much weight I started to gain, I still thought I was relatively skinny. This is the opposite of "Fat-Girl Syndrome", when a big girl gets thin, but still sees herself as large. One day I saw my picture and realized I had gained 30 pounds and I couldn't relate to the picture staring back at me. It was a real eye-opener and I decided that day that I would delete all refined sugars from my life and my mantra became "White is Not Right!" It is also important to note that I had always been able to eat whatever I wanted my whole life and not gain weight and that my metabolism was slowing down with age causing me to gain weight.
White Rice with Gravy: Soooooo Gooooooood AND Sooooooo Baaaaaaaad!
Best Foods Real Mayonnaise, the ultimate "Potogee" (local Portuguese people) condiment for rice, beef stew, chili, and whateva your heart desires. 
Your average "plate lunch" in Hawaii, consisting or white rice, macaroni salad, teriyaki beef,  & chicken katsu.