While threading is still a relatively new hair removal technique in the Western world, it has been used in other parts of the world for centuries. Threading is believed to have originated in the Middle East and South Asia, and then spread to become popular in Far Eastern countries like China.
Though eyebrows are the most popular area for threading in the Western world, in India threading was traditionally used to remove hair from other parts of the face as well. The upper lip, lower lip, chin, sideburns, forehead, and cheeks were all subject to hair removal by threading, in addition to eyebrow threading.
The art of threading is one of the gentlest form of hair removal. Only a piece of cotton thread is used. The thread is twisted and pulled along areas of unwanted hair, lifting the hair folllicle directly from the root without the use of any chemicals or sharp metal objects.
Benefits of Threading:
- It's 100% natural, there are no artificial waxes, chemicals, or invasive techniques used.
- It's less painful than waxing.
- It's precision allows greater control, resulting in a better brow shape.
- It's less damaging to the skin and safe for individuals using acne medications like Accutane and Retin A.
- You can remove the tiniest of hairs, which means no more peach fuzz.
Threading has grown in popularity within the last 5 years, especially on the island of Oahu. On the neighbor islands, like Kaua'i, it is much more difficult to find a threading technician. Lucky for you, I happen to be a Certified Threading Specialist and was mentored by the Owner/Master Threader, a beautiful Indian/Fijian woman named Pravina from the Threading Lounge in Honolulu, Hawaii. They were voted the Best Eyebrow Services by Honolulu Magazine in 2011. Please visit their lounge on Keeaumoku St. and give Pravina my aloha! Here's da link: threadinglounge.com