Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Beauty Bible for Akamai (smart) Product Shopping

Many years ago I stumbled upon a beauty skincare book at Border's in Waikele, Oahu, and I feel as if my guardian angels literally dropped it in my hands in the middle of some random aisle. For years, I have been on a quest for beautiful skin because I sufferred from acne and spent tons of money on dermatologists, medications, and over the counter products either at the drug store, informercials, or department store brands - and nothing seemed to work effectively and/or longterm. 

Following the principles of this book changed my skin forever! My skin has never looked so radiant and people who don't know me can't believe I even has acne issues. And this is why it is my go-to Beauty Bible that I always use as my reference point when buying products. Whether it is a high end or low end skin care product, it always has to pass the test regarding ingredients and the percentage amount of the ingredient in the product. If it doesn't meet the rules, it's not worth buying because I know it will NOT be effective so don't waste your time!

The book is written by Dr. Adrienne Denese, M.D., Ph.D., one of the first doctors in the United States to specialize in anti-aging medicine. Dr. Denese owns the Manhattan Anti-Aging Clinic in New York City and was progressive way before her time. She was also the first person to make "BB Cremes" way before it even became coined recently - she is that innovative. The book is titled, "Dr. Denese's Secrets for Ageless Skin" and I strongly suggest you get it and study it.




I'm not going to tell you everything that it says in the book, but I will give you some good tips from the book:

1.  Don't buy fancy, expensive facial cleansers. Just get one that you like that leaves your skin feeling soft, refreshed, and not dry or tight in any way.

2.  Don't buy water-free, leave-on cleansers. It can lead to clogged pores.

3.  Exfoliation is key for flawless skin and must be done daily in order to to get rid of thick layers of dead skin so that ingredients of skin care products can penetrate your skin.

4. Use a glycolic acid pad that is 8-10% glycolic every night. If your face isn't tingling, then it isn't strong enough. I personally use 20%. 

5. Use a microdermabrasian cream once or twice a week to micropolish your skin to help with exfoliation. Make sure the particles are small and not large like St. Ives Walnut cremes. I like Mary Kay's microdermabrasian creme.

6. Moisturzing facial creams do not work to moisture your skin. A moisturizer is a "feel good" product and lays on top of the skin. You MUST use a serum because it can penetrate the skin; preferably with 15% Vitamin C, peptides, and ceramides in it. 

7. To seal in all of the serums, you can use a moisturizer of your choice to put on top. This is only a "feel good" product and used only to seal in the serums, but not necessary if you don't want to or if you have oily skin. 

8. Use SPF 30 every single day of the year, even when it's cloudy, preferably with zinc oxide. 

So, the next time you have to buy skin care products, remember some of these rules and live by them. If the ingredients don't meet the requirements, don't buy it. If someone trys to convince you that a moisturizer will be the cure-all for beautiful skin, you know that it's not true. In the foreword of Dr. Denese's book she writes about people asking her what her secret is for looking so young and beautiful and her answer is "my secret is science", and now it's your secret too!